Nelson Baker Biotech has quickly established a reputation as one of the most innovative renewable industry design builders in the upper Midwest. Nelson Baker Biotech combines engineering expertise, a solid business background and practical field experience to provide its clients with true, value-added advice and craftsmanship. Nelson Baker Biotech recognizes the renewable energy and products industry as an exciting new market that includes clients of all sizes with varied needs. NBB’s experience and flexible approach allows it to work with all types of clients and project requirements. Our focus in the renewable
industry includes Ethanol, BioChemicals, BioPlastics, and BioMass. Of course, as this industry continues its rapid transformation, our goal is to guide our clients to the most efficient and cost-effective solutions in these constantly evolving markets.. We are currently seeking a Mechanical-Structural Designer/Drafter to be part of our expanding professional team in Sioux Falls, SD. Join our team today.
WHAT NELSON BAKER BIOTECH WILL OFFER YOU:
- Career advancement opportunities
- Because we believe in balancing your work life and your home life, you will also receive 8 paid holidays, and paid vacation time
- A full benefits package including: medical and dental with family plans available, prescription drug benefit, a vision discount plan, flex spending accounts, life insurance and disability policies are available
- Participation in the 401K plan and bonus program
- Tuition assistance for your continuing education
- The opportunity to give back to the local community through Nelson Baker Gives Back events
THE ROLE YOU WILL PLAY
The Mechanical-Structural Designer Drafter is responsible for 3D piping and equipment models, reading and understanding design documents and drawings, drafting, designing, and detailing various projects, tracking RFI’s, issuing drawings for approval and fabrication, and coordinating with the engineers. Perform regular and recurring designer/drafter duties independently following established policies/procedures and practices. You will also prepare detailed drawings of mechanical and structural layouts, plans, equipment and piping according to specifications provided by the engineering team and our customers.
- Perform assigned job tasks within the established schedule
- Responsibilities include standard detailing and fabrication practices as well as reading and understanding design documents/drawings
- Detail a complete job with shop detail drawings. Interpret mechanical and structural drawings and specifications, and the relationship to other trades.
- Make final sketch of proposed drawings, checking dimension of parts, materials to be used for procurement, relation of one part to another, and relation of various parts to the whole structure or project.
- Make changes necessary to drawings due to direction from Owners or engineers.
- Draw finished design from sketches.
- Detail and check simple mechanical piping and equipment layouts with minimum oversight.
- Detail and check simple steel structures with minimum oversight.
- Understand engineering of simple piping systems and produces clear, concise and complete drawings and bill of material for shop or field fabrication with all information needed for the contractor.
- Understand engineering of simple connection design and produces clear, concise, and complete drawings and bill of material for shop fabrication with all information needed for the checker, fabricator, and erector.
- Create, modify, organize and optimize large and complex assemblies using AutoCAD software.
- Create bid drawings, construction drawings, and as-built drawings using AutoCAD software and/or Revit software
- Read, interpret, create and organize blueprints, piping and instrumentation diagrams (P&ID’s), and process flow diagrams (PFD’s).
- Develop in-depth knowledge of company computer modeling tools and technical data systems.
- Follow Nelson Baker Biotech’s (NBB) drafting standards.
- Assist project team with procurement and on-site field data acquisition.
- Investigate and recommend improvements to existing processes and procedures.
- Familiarity with RISA 3D, Revit Structure and / or CADWorx Software a plus.
- Ideal candidates will have a solid foundation with CAD-based software packages, a strong aptitude for learning, and problem-solving skills
- Microsoft Office Products
- Adobe Acrobat Professional or Bluebeam Revu
- Document Tracking Database
- Excellent verbal, written and computer communication and technical skills
- Superior organizational skills and the ability to multi-task
- Ability to work independently with minimum instructions, and maintain records and high degree of accuracy